Historical Sketch of First Presbyterian Church, Borger
is an important date for the Presbyterians in Borger, Texas!
An oil boom-town, hundreds of people seemed to be arriving daily, many
living in little more than canvas tents and competing for scraps of space.
In this hurley-burley atmosphere there were a few early citizens who
desired to form congregations, including a few hearty Presbyterians. In August of 1927 an invitation to two pastors in Oklahoma
was accepted and a service was held in order to bring together any persons who
desired to organize a Presbyterian church.
On September 21, 1927 the Presbytery of Amarillo (now a part of Palo Duro
Presbytery) place First Presbyterian Church of Borger, Texas on its roll of the
Presbytery. The first pastor, Rev.
A. K. Price, came to Borger in September, but due to very poor health was forced
to resign and died shortly thereafter. From
that traumatic experience the congregation soon recovered and began to thrive.
“Little White Church” was the first permanent home of the congregation, but
after decades of expansion upon expansion, a building committee was formed and
the present facility on the corner of Coolidge and McGee was dedicated on Easter
Sunday, April 17, 1949, during the twenty-four year pastorate of the Rev. James
Glenn. Within five years the new
building was paid for and the Educational Building was started.
the years there have been changes to the interiors spaces of the church, while
the congregation has grown and shifted with the population of the town.
During the late 1950's the congregation held two weekly Services of
Worship, and many a story is told of young children peering over the balcony
rail while their parents were singing in the Chancel Choir.
the tumultuous latter half of the 1960's the congregation suffered a breach,
with many of the congregation’s leaders and members departing to other
churches, and more than a few became instrumental in the formation of a new
congregation within Borger. Having
weathered that crisis in its history and continuing to remain a vital part of
the whole community, First Presbyterian Church of Borger celebrated it
Seventy-Fifth Anniversary during September of 2002 with quite a few folks coming
in to town to join in the festivities, including Mrs. June Glenn, wife of the
late Rev. James Glenn and the mother of our long time music Director, Mr. J. Scott Glenn.
seventy-five years of struggle and celebration, the congregation of First
Presbyterian Church of Borger, Texas continues to strive, thrive, and live the
call to discipleship. If you’re
ever in these parts, stop in and become part of our history!
This website designed and hosted by High Plains Hosting, Inc.2004
This website updated and maintained by High Plains Hosting, Inc